The beach city in Southern California
Encinitas is a fantastic beach community located 25 miles north of San Diego and 95 miles south of Los Angeles. If you’re searching Encinitas Homes for Sale you are looking for the fabulous, laid back, beach lifestyle that Encinitas offers. Encinitas is actually a Spanish name that means “little oaks”. The city of Encinitas was incorporated in 1986 and has a population of over 60,000. Encinitas is comprised of five areas: Old Encinitas, New Encinitas, Olivenhain, Leucadia and Cardiff-by-the-Sea.
Old Encinitas is on the 101 or coast highway. It is comprised of many little businesses or shops and houses. It also contains the international famous surfing spot or point break called Swamis. Swamis was named after Swami Paramahansa Yogananda because his self-realization fellowship grounds was built here in 1937 overlooking this reef point. He sought to the teachings of meditation to Americans.
New Encinitas features a golf course, shopping centers and many larger tract homes.
Olivenhain is a semi rural region in eastern Encinitas with mostly single family homes and some private equestrian facilities.
Leucadia is the coastal community of the city featuring art galleries, unusual stores, restaurants and single family homes.
Cardiff-by-the-Sea is the southernmost area of Encinitas and contains the Lux Art Institute and the San Elijo Campus of Mira Costa College.
To make your search easier, I’ve created these links for you to find Encinitas Homes for Sale –
Things to do in Encinitas
Don't miss these events in Encinitas
(760) 944-4375When searching Encinitas Homes for Sale you want to make sure to take in some of the local culture and events.
- Encinitas has a street fair annually that is held every April in downtown for 2 days.
- There is also a Fall Festival that is held in downtown every November, this fair is only a 1 day event. There are so many fun things to do in Encinitas for all ages, besides surfing.
- There is a Lima Bean Fair and Battle of the Beans Cook-off ever September at the San Dieguito Heritage Musem at 450 Quail Gardens Dr.
- Oktoberfest is held on the third Sunday in September, coinciding with the celebrations in Germany, a great reason to drink beer.
- Classic Car Cruise Nights are the 3rd Thursday of every month from May to September.
- On the 3rd Saturday in September is the Wavecrest Woodie Meet, the largest rally of wooden-bodied cars in the world.
- There is also the Switchfoot Bro-AM, an annual surf competition and outdoor music fest held in early July at Moonlight State Beach. This event has the world’s only Surf Jousting competition.
You also have to meet the Cardiff Cook, a 16 foot bronze statue located in Cardiff-by-the-Sea. It is a true landmark and is “vandalized” regularly throughout the year to celebrate different times of the year such as independence day where it can be adorned in an uncle sam costume.
The 3 School Districts
If you’re searching Encinitas Homes for Sale you’ll want to know all about the schools. There are 3 school districts that comprise the education system in Encinitas:
- Cardiff School District – consisting of Cardiff Elementary (K-3) and Ada Harris Elementary (3-6). This is a link to their website – Cardiff School District
- Encinitas Union School District – consisting of 10 schools. Here is a link to their website – Encinitas Union School District
- Capri Elementary School – 941 Capri Road, Encinitas, CA 92024 – (760) 944-4360
- El Camino Creek Elementary School – 7885 Paseo Aliso, Carlsbad, CA 92009 – (760) 943-2051
- Flora Vista Elementary School – 1690 Wandering Rd, Encinitas, CA 92024 – (760) 944-4329
- La Costa Heights Elementary School – 3035 Levante St, Carlsbad, CA 92009 – (760) 944-4375
- Mission Estancia Elementary School – 3330 Calle Barcelona, Carlsbad, CA 92009 – (760) 943-2004
- Ocean Knoll Elementary School – 910 Melba Road, Encinitas CA 92024 – 760-944-4351
- Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School – 8000 Calle Acervo, Carlsbad, CA 92009 Phone: 760-943-2000
- Park Dale Lane Elementary School – 2050 Parkdale Ln, Encinitas, CA 92024 – (760) 944-4344
- Paul Ecke Central Elementary – 185 Union St, Encinitas, CA 92024 – (760) 944-4323
- San Dieguito Union High School District – consists of the middle and high schools for the communities of Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, Leucadia, and Olivenhain in the City of Encinitas; the cities of Del Mar and Solana Beach; the community of La Costa in the City of Carlsbad; the community of Carmel Valley in the City of San Diego; and the communities of Rancho Santa Fe and Fairbanks Ranch.